Monday, September 19, 2011

WHOA!

Dear Family,
  Can you believe that in three days I complete one year on the mission?? And exactly one year from today was the last day I saw and hugged Max. One year until I'm home. Two years until I see Max again. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY REAGAN!!! This week my companion and I completed the standard for the 4th week in a row, even though on Thursday we didn't teach a single lesson. Just a whole day of nothing. Phew. Yet we did it somehow. Saturday we found two different people who quickly decided that they were TOTALLY interested in finding out if this really is the true church. They came to church the next day and loved it. Julia said "I feel really blessed." We're pretty thrilled, but we've got to start baptizing soon or all our leaders will be getting on us for completing the standard but not baptizing. By the way, I've been made district leader again. This time I want to do a better job of really showing love for each of the elders in my district, helping them feel encouraged. I want them to think of me the way I think of some of the great leaders I've had so far here.
  Kind of a funny story: we knocked a door and these two teenage girls came out. We actually knocked the door of their gated driveway. It's called a colchon. Anyway, they were acting as if they'd never seen gringos before. They went to go get their mom, and then we began to tell them who we were and the message we share. One of the girls cut me off asking "Are you gringos?" "Claro," I said and kept talking. Then she asked me "¿Me prestas tus ojos?" ahahahaha that means "will you lend me your eyes?" (she wanted to trade eye color). Weirdo. We kept talking trying to keep a smile, but not at all lead them on or flirt or anything. Then one of them cut Elder Willett off asking "Do you have a girlfriend?" He just responded, "We're missionaries." She asked, "How old are you?" I said 40. We set up a time to go back, but it just so happens we didn't have the time... Seriously, they were so forward. Elder Willett didn't at all know how to react. It was funny to me.
  Well, this week there's a three-day conference for all the leaders, so I'll get to see Elder Parry and Elder Padgett again! I'd talked to Elder Parry by telephone a few weeks ago. I hope that I learn a lot. There's a brand new elder in our house now. He's got a few issues with desire. He told his family last week that if he didn't enjoy this past week he was going to go home. They chewed him out today. The zone leaders told me that they want ME to do ALL that I can to make sure he stays in the mission basically, to really be there for him, encourage him. Be the example, they told me. He's not like Elder Silos who came out ready to be 100% obedient, and willing to work as hard as he could to be a great teacher. I miss Elder Silos. But anyway, last night I talked with the elder, Elder Alvarez. I told him, "I love my family so much that I'm willing to give everything I have, or do everything I have to do to please Heavenly Father, to serve Him, so that He might let me live with my family forever." It's true. So that's why I try to be 100% obedient, etc. I'm giving my all to be with you all, family. I love you.
  Alright, I love you all. I'll see you in about one year. Unless you count skyping for Christmas. By the way, I'm hearing that Nativities are all the rage here. I'll probably send more than one home, come Christmas of course. I LOVE YOU!
     Love,
Elder Mitch Poirier

No comments:

Post a Comment