Monday, January 24, 2011

Oh Mexico

FAMILY!!
   I'm in Mexico! I don't know where to begin, so I'm just going to list it all:
1  There are shops at every corner, like little gas station shops, except that they don't sell gas. Plus, people sell little snacks and stuff at their doors. So if you're ever thirsty or hungry, it's right there. And everything here is SO cheap! One of the stores sells Chanpurrado (I learned how to spell it correctly- thanksgiving)
2 We eat lunch everyday with members, not dinner. But here the people don't treat missionaries as friends, they really have respect for us. So you don't really build relationships. But the food is really good!! I do wish i could have mate though :(
3  We're teaching a woman named Miriam. She's maybe in her late 20s. She owns a vet shop. She's really awesome, but has trouble believing that God actually calls prophets in this time. She feels good about everything we teach, but she doesn't have the faith to just believe. So I felt inspired to share Alma 32: 27-28 with her. Even just the desire to believe. I think it'll help her a lot.
4 There are dogs everywhere here. Whether on the side of the road in a black bag, barking from the rooves of the houses, or following us everywhere we walk, you ALWAYS can see a dog. They are all dirty though, not like McGraw or Bentley.
5  We live in a 3 story apartment with two other missionaries who are Mexican. The house is nice, but we keep it SO dirty. The bathrooms smell really gross, but all the elders honestly don't notice it. I bought flipflops so that I don't have to walk around barefoot.
6  We work really hard to reach our weekly goals. We do a lot of walking--it's exhausting!! And I'm trying even harder to be 100% obedient. My studies are effective and I feel good! I do wish that Elder Marlow and Elder Rodriguez were closer to my age. They are really cool and funny (well Marlow, not so much), but I feel like a little kid. It makes me miss Douglas!
7  I did have to do laundry! We have a washing machine that just churns the clothes and water. We have to fill it, wash it and drain it. Then to get the soap out, we fill, wash, and drain again. Then we hang our clothes to dry. Eventually I'll have to actually handwash though. Here in Guadalajara, the weather is nice, very dry and warm, the low 70s I'd say. We live in a town called Huetitân (accent over the a).
8  Everyone here shakes hands, pounds it, hugs, and then repeats the hand/pound. It's hard to get used to. And sometimes they don't pound it, but shake and then make rings around each other's thumbs. It's hard to describe ahah
9  I'm so afraid of getting sick! Already I got diarrhea, not too bad, but still. It's enough to make me scared of what's to come in these next 20 months! Also, it's SO strange that everyone speaks spanish. Yes, that's obvious, but it really is strange. You just have to be here i guess.
10  I will not get mail really. It gets here safely, but in a long time. And THEN I have to wait for my zone leaders to need to go to the office where they can pick it up. Because it won't be forwarded to me. And if I'm at one end of the mission, that could be a long time waiting. So if you write me, don't expect a prompt response. SAD
 
I love you!!!
Elder Mitchell Poirier 

 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.
 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.  Alma 32:27-28

No comments:

Post a Comment