Monday, July 11, 2011

MEXIQUITO

Family!
       We were planning on baptizing this Saturday, but we got a call from our investigator (who's about 60 years old) that afternoon telling us that her children found out she was going to get baptized and became infuriated with her. We went to go visit her right away because we thought that it'd be possible to resolve. She wasn't home. So we started walking to the gym (she's ALWAYS in the gym) and ran into her! But she was crying. That morning her sister had a heart attack and passed away. This is the third sibling to have died in this year. She is heart-broken and depressed. We tried anything we could do or say as we walked back to her house, even offering to go with her to turn in the body, but she was too hurt and sad to understand what we were saying. She told us she needed to go cry and shut the door on us. We figured she obviously needs time before she'll let us speak words of comfort to her. We were pretty surprised, but tried not to get discouraged. We kept working even harder.
      Last night we still needed three new investigators. Honestly we hadn't contacted people as much as we should have during the week. The Lord saw that we did ALMOST everything therefore to complete the Standard, so he only ALMOST helped us complete it. We knocked doors in the rain after all our options had run out. It was POURING rain. It's wonderful here! But to be outside is cold and miserable. And in church clothes! Everyone everywhere was watching the Mexico vs Uruguay soccer game, so we unfortunately didn't happen upon the door of anyone whose heart was warm enough to let us in.
       This week I was blown away by my companion! On Tuesday we'd discussed putting a baptismal date with Soraya, a Christian who'd come to church and several activities. My companion felt that we should wait until the next week. We decided we'd see how she progressed during the week. Thursday came and suddenly my companion took control of the lesson briefly to set a baptismal date with her. Soraya easily accepted the 30th as a goal to be baptized so long as she receives her answer that the Book of Mormon is true. She's really excited in fact. I was so impressed with my companion for having recognized that she was ready and for having listened to and spoken with the spirit that lesson. Soraya came to church again this Sunday. We trust the Lord will strongly answer her prayers, or that she'll recognize he's already answered them.
    I'm happy all is well in Stuart, Florida. I love you all! I wish you could all enjoy the wonderful food I eat! I'm trying to collect recipes, but it's a slow process of asking and reminding and reminding again. When I get home I'd like to invent a Mexican pie, which will of course include chili, lime, or salt instead of sugar. Is there such thing as mango pie? I assume so, but only refrigerated pies. I understand that you're going on vacation and all, but PLEASE don't forget to send me emails! I love you!
     Love,
   Elder Mitch Poirier

PS yesterday there was a boxer in someone's porch shivering cold! I wanted to give it some warmth or something, but the gate was locked. Poor thing. And today there's a basset hound wandering the streets for food. Sad! Tell Bentley he doesn't know how good he has it.



PSS PANCAKE NIGHT
   It went really well. We (as in I) made about 60 pancakes. We had a lot of fun. There's a game that's kind of dumb that we played, but somehow everyone really enjoyed it. Especially Salvador... remind me to tell you about that when I get home..   Anyway, the game is that everyone has to write about 3 embarrassing things that they want other specific people to do, for example "I want Max to dance the Electric Slide." Then everyone's lists get collected and the person in charge says, "This game is called 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'" And everyone has to do the things they wanted others to do. Super funny only because Soraya wrote 7 things! One of them being "I want Elder Poirier to eat all the extra pancakes" and "I want Elder Silos to drink all the extra milk." Of course we didn't make her do it. But Salvador sure did try (to make her do it).... later. I have to act it out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment